Adult Years: Getting Services

Up to your child’s 22nd birthday they may be eligible (if they have not received a high school diploma) to continue to receive certain services through your local school district. If they are continuing to receive services from your local school district their Regional Center Service Coordinator will probably continue to be from the school age unit. Once the school district terminates services, either at age 22 or upon issuing a diploma, the primary source for services is the Regional Center. If your child has maintained eligibility all along, once they reach adulthood their file will be transfered to the adult unit for continued management. They will continue to have regular IPP (Individual Program Plan) meetings to determine what services are needed. Services for adults revolve around community inclustion, self-determination and independence. Below are examples of some of the services that might be provided to adults:

  • Assistance accessing community resources or entitlements such as SSI
  • Day Programs
  • Supported Employment
  • Independent Living Skills Training
  • Supported Living Services
  • Residential Care Home Placement
  • Behavior Modification
  • Adaptive Skills Training
  • Competency Training (for court-related issues)

Of course, just as with younger children, there is always the options to privately pay for services as well.

Make Connections

PWCF maintains online and in-person Support Groups for parents and professionals.

PWSA (USA) maintains several Facebook support groups.